Saturday 27 October 2012

October's Party

When I was 6 years old, my mother was my middle infant class teacher. (Now called Year 1).  I remember that we often acted out The King's Breakfast by A.A. Milne.  And I also remember learning October's Party by George Cooper off by heart.

Today we went a walk along the Droitwich Canal amidst some beautiful Autumn colour and the poem came to mind.  Admittedly I could only remember the first two lines but that's not bad after 57 years!

So as I was walking along I decided to take Autumn colour photos and write a blog post using the poem as a basis.

October's Party
George Cooper

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-



The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.



The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,


Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.


The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;




The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;


All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;



The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.



Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,



The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.



Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;



And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."
 


 What fun!

2 comments:

  1. I still know The King's Breakfast by heart fifty years on!! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely! Your blend of photos and poetry is inspiring. I can see this setting off a whole new trend :).

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave me an encouraging comment. Don't forget to put your name. I love to know who is commenting. Thank you.